Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Pros and Cons of Poetic Case

There are not many Nexus 7 cases available for purchase in Australia. JB Hifi has a really official and equally pathetic case put out by ASUS which costs $25 off the shelf. I had one look and left the store. 

After some extensive research on forums, I decided to make one of my rare purchases on Ebay for a Nexus 7 case. I noticed that there was a particular brand called Poetic with quite a few variants of cases and seemed to be making cases for ipads as well as Nexus 7. After some consideration and mental pacing up and down, I went for the one below which was retailing at $12.95 USD + $6.95 shipping to Australia. 



Pros for the Poetic Case

So why did I decide to get this case? First of all the existence of the smart cover technology which Google does not talk about on the official Nexus 7 pamphlets and press releases. Apparently this has to do with the similarities to the Apple Ipad feature and the current legal environment in which we find ourselves in today.

This feature allows you to open your case and the Nexus 7 will turn on automatically. Conversely, closing the case will put the tablet to sleep. This feature had me hotly anticipating the delivery of my Poetic Nexus 7 case.

Another reason for this case is the ability for it to stand up on its own as a desk clock as demonstrated below.


The Nexus 7 fits perfectly in the case with a special flap going to the back to reduce the chance of the tablet slipping out of the case. The well thought out design ensures the volume and power buttons are not inhibited, neither is the mini USB port on the bottom nor is the speaker on the back. There are pockets to carry money and cards in the case as well as a pen holder.

The magnetic cover means that the flap will not open up randomly. The material is called PU leather and feels pretty comfortable and looks quite professional. The case feels solid enough to give the tablet a little more practical mobility and makes me feel like I don't need to (figuratively) "bubble wrap" the device every time I go out. For the price of $20 delivered, cheaper than JB Hifi's case, I am very happy with it.

Cons for the Poetic Case

As with all products, it is useful to know the downsides, for which I can think of two with the Poetic Nexus 7 case. The case's thickness takes away the form factor of the original device, so you will not be able to put the tablet in your pocket or even the inside pocket of most suits.

The other con I see is that the NFC beam does not seem to penetrate the hard case. So, hope this review has helped you make a decision. Hopefully, you won't need to spend as much time as I did looking at the pros and cons of this Nexus 7 case.

No comments:

Post a Comment